The academic year is over and kids now have three long months on holiday, for resting, playing and having fun, which is not incompatible with learning. Nowadays, with the new technologies, children can play and learn at the same time. All, or nearly all, of them like computers and mobile devices such as tablets and iPads. So application developers have focused on schoolchildren, to provide them with a large variety of applications for smartphones and webs with which to learn as they play.
There are endless options, both on the Internet and in outlets such as Apple Store, so we have made a small selection of educational resources that seem interesting for kids and adults alike:
- Web applications:
- Mama apps: This page offers iPhone and iPad applications for parents and kids to learn and have fun together. Magic piano, Memory, Kids Songs Machine or Zoo for kids are a few examples.
- Childtopia: This website offers a large variety of games and educational activities such as “learn your letters”, “photo puzzle”, “maths videos”, “riddles” or the “the detective” game, among many others.
- Web for kids: It has both classic games of the past and games based on logic, cars, dolls… It has drawings to be printed and colored, or for coloring on screen, audio stories, pastimes and a parents¡ forum.
- Applications for smartphones and tablets:
- Moglue: So that kids can create their own interactive stories and other kids can download them to their mobile devices. An entertaining way to use the imagination, create and share.
- Math Board: Questions that are answered with simple maths operations. It targets primary school children.
- Math Bingo: http://www.apple.com/es/education/apps/ Game for kids who are just starting to learn maths. A very entertaining way to add up and subtract.
- Star Walk: Application to discover stars, constellations and satellites in real time. Kids just have to point their iPads to the sky.
- Do Re Mi Zoo: an application to introduce small children to music. It teaches them the basic notions required to learn to play the piano in a very entertaining way.
Kids also have a large number of educational e-books, portals in Spanish and English and a long list of applications covering everything from the subjects that they learn at school to more specific disciplines, such as astronomy.
All the above resources foster kids’ creativity, independence, entertainment, learning and, also very important, family ties, as many parents participate in these activities with their children.